9 important questions about Smart Issues answered
Last June, Smart Issues were introduced as part of the BIMcollab ecosystem. Smart Issues offer BIM managers new, more reliable and time saving workflows by carrying all the necessary information about linked clashes to automatically be checked, updated and closed. Smart Issues also prevent duplicate reporting, even by other team members. A great, time saving feature if you ask us!
Since the release, we’ve received some amazing feedback, but also important questions about this new development. In this blog, we give answer to the 9 most commonly asked questions.
1. Are the statuses of clashes, detected in other model validation tools such as Navisworks, also automatically updated?
For now, only clashes detected with Zoom can be tracked with Smart Issues. Of course, the issues themselves are visible throughout the whole BIMcollab ecosystem.
2. Will an issue that was once solved, but became a clash again, be a new issue or a revise issue?
If a clash reappears it is a choice if you want it to be reopened. This can be automated as well.
3. When a clash result is ignored and you carry out another clash detection, will they still show up as ignored or unreported?
The clash will still be shown as ignored.
4. If the GUID of a component changes, will it still be found in the issue?
No, but the system will show you the clash box in a purple color to indicate a ‘missing’ object. This way, you can investigate the root cause.
5. What happens if you are working simultaneously and try to sync new issues that have overlapping clashes? Is there a warning when you try to sync?
Yes, the system will give a warning and a reconsideration should take place. But from our experience, when syncing on a regular basis becomes standard in your workflow, this will not be happening often.
6. Can you run checks to validate parameter values as well as element collisions?
Smart Issues are now only related to clash detection. So only geometry. Our Smart view feature can be used to track properties.
7. Are there any instructions/documents published by BIMcollab on how to create rules in Zoom?
Yes, the basic workflow of the clash detection can be found here.
8. Can Smart Issues only be used with the full version of Zoom?
Yes. Smart Issues are based on a background clash detection, which is only available in the full version of BIMcollab Zoom. There’s a possibility to do a free 30-day trial.
9. Do all the involved colleagues in my office have to use the full version of Zoom for Smart Issues to work?
No. Only the users who run a clash detection need a full license to create and update the Smart Issues. The issues can be seen by all users, also users of the Viewer version of Zoom.
Do you have specific questions that you’d like to see answered in a 1-on-1 demo? You can directly make a (free) appointment with one of our experts.